Self-guided hiking in la Gomera
Day 1 Tenerife
Welcome to Tenerife! Make your way to your accommodation in El Medano, depending on your arrival time, enjoy a stroll through this charming seaside town.
Day 2 Hermigua & Garajonay National Park
Early morning departure for Los Cristianos Port and morning arrival in La Gomera. Your expert guide will accompany todays walk. Your key to better understanding your wild surroundings, you specialist guide will point out flora, fauna and geology along the hike and tell stories of the history and culture. Discover an Emerald corner of Garajonay National Park and walk to Presa de los Tiles, a small water reserve with a charming brook. Admire a simply magnificent waterfall where Canary Island pigeons, a rare endemic species, nest. Hike to one of the most beautiful laurel forests in the world and up to fabulous views notably overlooking the banana plantations of Hermigua, a delightful seaside town found between two mountains.
6 - 7 hours walking: +1100 m / - 1100 m
A less challenging hike is possible: 5h (+600m, -600m)
Day 3 Roque Cano - Vallehermoso
Go hiking across the north of the island to reach the watchtower of Abrante. Discover one of the most beautiful panaramic views of the Canary Island archipelago. Visit Garajonay National Park Visiter Centre where explanations of the island follow one and other in a clear playful way. The hike continues to a heather forest and to Roque Cano Natural Monument, a towering giant which watches over the peaceful village of Vallehermoso ...
6 - 7 hours walking: +1000 m / - 1000 m
A less challenging hike is possible: 3 and 1/2 hours (+200m, -700m)
Day 4 Vallehermoso - Garajonay National Park - Chipude
Botanical enthusiasts, prepare to be impressed. The climb (sustained level) towards the National Park crosses all the levels of vegetation. At the highest point (beginning of the intermediate level) you will discover an ancient Laurel Forest of peaks .... where Tortuous trees covered with moss like long "beards" floating at the mercy of the trade winds, all wrapped in mysterious mist ... Absolutely magical. The descent via the gently sloping south face crosses several mountain villages and displays views of the spectacular Valle Gran Rey rural park characterized by its terraced fields.
7 hours walking, + 1400 m / - 500 m
A less challenging hike is possible: 3 and 1/2 hours (+300m, -500m)
Day 5 Chipude - The Islands Summit - Alajeró
Discover some of La Gomeras cultural, geological and botanical gems. Todays hike begins in the village of Chipude where you can observe the traditional local architecture. Fortaleza, an imposing geomorphological formation, will occupy the first half of this leg of your journey. A detour (sustained level) to Alto de Garajonay, the highest point of the island at 1487m offers spectacular views of the island and the neighboring islands. You will then descend to the village of Alajeró
7 hours walking; + 700 m / - 900 m
A less challenging hike is possible: 5 hours (+500m/ -800m)
Day 6 ALAJERO - GUARIMIAR - PLAYA SANTIAGO
Discover adorable local villages: Alajeró found in a palm grove at the foot of the sacred mountain and Tagaragunche, the charming hamlet of Imada nestled between the mountains. Then begin your descent into the beautiful canyon of Guarimiar which gradually narrowers as the hike progresses. At the bottom of the canyon, discover a real oasis with palm trees, mango trees, avocados and pretty stone houses. If you opt for the more difficult hike, you follow a beautiful path upp, a route built into the cliff! Descent by another side to Playa Santiago.
6 hours walking; + 550 m / - 1400 m
A less challenging hike is possible: 5 hour walking (+250m / -1100m)
Day 7 Ayamosna - San Sebastián
Your last day of hiking on La Gomera, you will evolve in an arid area, near an old village and the rock El Sombrero with its characteristic shape. Gradual descent into the Barranco El Cabrito canyon with its steep walls and splendid promontory. For your lunch break, the isolated beach of Playa de la Guancha, comes highly recommended - you can even stop for a swim. The majestic Teide mountain stands in front of you and watches over San Sebastian de La Gomera, your next destination. If you want to avoid the descent or shorten the hike, you can make a return trip between San Sebastián and the playa de La Guancha (in the El Cabrito protected area), enjoy great views of the coast and San Sebastián. Evening ferry back to Tenerife.
5 hours of walking, +400m, -1100m
A less challenging hike is possible: 3 hours (+300m/ -300m)
Day 8 Farewell
Depending on your flight times perhaps you can enjoy a last morning at the beach before heading to the airport.
Period & budget
When to travel?
The best period for travelling is during the following months:
The budget is an indication of the price per person, subject to availability. Your local agent will send you a customized quote with the exact price. The price can vary according to availability, level of services, period of travel, number of participants, booking time frame and other items.
- 7 nights accommodation (5 on La Gomera and 2 in Tenerife)
- Return ferry Tenerife/La Gomera
- All transfers as detailed in itinerary
- Luggage transfers
- Accompaniment by an expert guide
- Telephone assistance 24/7
- A detailed roadbook
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: a sum of €50 per person will be retained
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: your deposit, 30% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 20 to 14 days before the departure date: 50% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 13 to 7 days before the departure date: 75% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received less than 7 days before the departure date: 100% of the total trip price will be retained
- Fixed airfares: if your airline ticket was issued in advance, often done to avoid significant surcharges, you will be charged 100% of any non-refundable fees if you wish to change or cancel your flight plan.
- Fixed in-country costs: early charges for firm bookings will be charged if you cancel or modify your trip.
- Insurance costs: if you have taken out comprehensive or cancellation insurance, the cost of insurance is due and cannot be refunded.
Modification du contrat
Prix et révision des prix
Cession du contrat
- Maritime transport with Naviera Armas Ferries.
- This trip includes category A vehicle hire.
- Additional driver, from 50 €/rental
- Child seat, from 30 €/rental
- GPS, from 30 €/rental
Budget & exchange
- Meals and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Personal expenses
- A cap or sunhat
- Thermal baselayers: long-sleeved thermal tops and full-length long johns
- Long sleeved and short sleeved t-shirts, preferably in quick-drying technical material
- 1 light fleece or equivilent (plus extra warm layers for austral winter months)
- A breathable wind proof, waterproof jacket (Gore-Tex...)
- Lightweight waterproof over trousers
- 1 pair of long suitable shorts
- 1 pair of walking trousers (detachable legs ideal)
- A pair of high-rise walking boots with vibram soles - trails can be rocky and muddy
- A pair of trainers or casual shoes for the evenings and cities
- Thick walking socks
- Warm gloves, hat and scarf (evenings in the mountains can feel cold)
- A swimsuit
- Your personal toiletries
- Fast-drying microfibre towel
- Water bottle(s). Min. 2 litres, light and isothermal
- A good pair of sunglasses (think min. category 3)
- Sun-cream, face and lips
- Head torch and spare batteries
- A pocket knife (optional)
- A pair of hiking poles (optional)
- A waterproof bag cover (or plastic bags) to protect your belongings
- A rucksack (35-40L or 45-50L) for use as a day bag. This will contain your (vital) personal belongings for the day,
- A larger bag (60-80L) containing the rest of your belongings, those which you do not need with you in the day.
Health information & recommendations
- Be prepared
- Stick to trails and camp overnight right
- Stash your trash and pick up waste
- Leave it as you find it
- Be careful with fire
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors